Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I cooked!

Yep, hear that? I cooked! The mob called this a Tasty Frittata Recipe. And it's not bad ish... Had to adapt it though, bloody school f***s up. I cooked it for my Nutrition class.

A Tasty Frittata Recipe

Cilantro Chile Sauce
2 large cloves garlic
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice, freeshly squeezed
1 small bunch chilantro (it took me ages, but I finally found out cilantro was corriander)
1 green (serrano) chile, seeds removed
2 pinches ground cumin
a couple big pinches of salt (the school had no salt (i know, wtf?) so i did without. It doesn't really need it)

Frittata
6 large eggs
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
3 small potatoes, very very thinly sliced
1/2 cup yellw zucchini or cauliflower, 1/2 inch pieces (I used cauliflower, I prefer it, but yellow zucchini would look good on it)
1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled (Mine was to soft to crumble, so it doesn't have to be crumbled)
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted (School also couldn't get these, so did without)
couple of pinches of salt (see other salt note)

Preheat your oven to 450F degrees (or use a griller, like I did. Means you don't have to convert F to C). Make the cilantro chile sauce by pureeing all ingredients until very smooth. Set aside. (This sauce was suprisingly very nice. Make it!)

In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with a small pinch of salt. Set aside. In a small skillet (make sure it's small, mine was far to big) over medium heat, add the olive oil, onion and another pinch of salt. Saute, constantly stirring, until the oinon starts to brown, 5-7 min. Add the potatoes and zucchini (or cauliflower), cover, and cook for another 3 minutes or so. (this is a weird step, it took me more than 3 minutes, because shit knives at school couldnt cut very very thin slices. And the onion burnt, must think of a way around this.) Slide everything out of the skillet onto a plate and set aside.

Turn down the heat a bit and add the eggs to the skillet and cook over medium low heat for about 5 min or until the eggs are just set and there isnt a lot of liquid running around the pan. To facilitate this, run a spatula underneath the sides of the frittata and tilt the pan so the uncooked eggs run to the underside and cook. (this wasn't an issue for me cos my fry pan was to big, so it cooked in less time, and I didn't have to do the fiddly bits). Drizzle the eggs with a few tablespoons of the chile sauce and sprinkle potato mixture over the top. (more like place, not sprinkle).

Place the skillet in the oven (or griller) and bake for about 9 minutes, or until well set and puffy. Add a crumble of goat cheese and the pumkin seeds across the top of the frittata in the final 2 minutes. Remove from the oven (or griller), cut into wedges and serve.!

Serves 2 to 4

I don't have pictures, cos I'm just not that computer savy.

And the Sauce is vegan Hedge, so make it!

4 comments:

Jen Treehugger said...

The sauce does sound yummy 'lil pea.
I never realised what Cilantro was either - until I moved to Spain. It's the Spanish word for Corriander.

I think you need to watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd_pCS9N5Vg

Little Pea said...

Now THAT is why I only eat eggs from my own chickens, who have a darn good life.

And Cilantro is an awesome name. I think I like it better than Corriander.

Jen Treehugger said...

I didn't know you had your own chooks!!
How could I not know that!!

*high fives*

Little Pea said...

You should get your own chooks Hedge, then you could eat egg!


I like egg...